Friday, March 27, 2009

GRANDSONS' GARNER TRIP

Sonny and grandson's Ethan and Jeremy celebrated Spring Break in Garner State Park. The tradition of going to Garner State Park was started by my parents. Some of my fondest vacation memories are of cousins, tubing, camp fires, and sleeping under the stars at Garner. We were fortunate enough to be there during the golden years of the 1960's and 1970's. Naturally, I wanted my children to have the same great experiences. Sonny and I believe that all children need to camp out in tents at least one time. We fulfilled that obligation with our children and I was grateful when we moved up to cabins. However, he wanted to next generation to also start by tent camping and so they went on a "guys only" trip, with my full blessings.




No Garner camping trip would be complete without climbing Old Baldy. I also remember climbing Old Baldy while I was in elementary school. Was it that long ago?









It is always a great accomplishment when you get to the top for the first time. It is even more fun to have Papaw take your picture standing right on the edge for Mom and Dad to see!

By all reports, everyone had a great time! Some highlights included the boys earning nicknames of Rock and Tripper, making s'mores, telling ghost stories around the camp fire, and putting shaving cream in Papaw shoes. (Boys, you were not suppose to tell Papaw that the shaving cream was my idea!)

No comments: