Monday, June 8, 2009

TEXAS BIRTHDAY DINNER

We celebrated Michael's and Jenny's birthday. I decided on a Texas theme. Michael loves the Houston Rodeo and country music and Jenny has always loved horses and riding. Of course, I love anything Texas and bluebonnets are my favorite! For those of you looking for tablescape ideas, the red stars are cookie cutters and the runner is actually two dish towels from Kohl's clearance table.
The silverware are in a blue jean pocket and the napkin ring holder is a Texas cookie cutter. I was not able to find enough Texas shaped cookie cutters, so some place settings have cowboy hat cookie cutters. Believe it or not, I found those for $1.00 each at Sur la Table. The place card holder is a red heart (for deep in the heart of TX) and I also used these at my Valentine's Day Bunco party. I found these paper sheriff's badges on the internet, which I printed on card stock, and wrote each person's name on them as a place card.

Here is my sweet family and we enjoyed a good old Texas supper of Haystacks. I will include the recipe below. Happy Birthday to Michael and Jenny!

HAYSTACKS
1 bowl of cooked white rice
1 bag Fritos
1 pot of your favorite Chili
Shredded Lettuce
Chopped Tomatoes
Chopped Avocados
Chopped Onions
Favorite Shredded Cheese
Put all of the above in serving bowls in a line on a serving table or counter. Starting with the first ingredient, put the rice on your plate, followed by some Fritos on top of the rice. Next add Chili on top of the Fritos and well you get the picture. You keep building with the rest of the ingredients and create a "hay stack". This dish is great for everyone as each person can make their own hay stack according to their likes/dislikes and dietary needs. Dieters can just have the salad! Of course, we had cherry tarts and blackberry cobbler for dessert and that is not diet!
Enjoy!

No comments: