Thursday, June 26, 2008

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S PARTY

What do you serve at a "Breakfast at Tiffany's Birthday Party? Breakfast food of course! This is a picture of the menu and it was a success!
The main course was Boil in a Bag Omelets. Yes, I know that sounds, well kinda gross, but let me assure you that they are wonderful. Each guest picks out their own ingredients for their omelet. Believe me, everyone was very skeptical as to whether the ingredients in their bag would ever resemble an omelet much less taste like one. However, they were pleasantly surprised at how tasty they were and so fun and easy.
Please notice the champagne glass on the left with the fruit salad in it. I bought these beautiful glasses at the Christmas clearance sale at Target. I purchased two sets for 50% off and loved them so much that I went back and was able to buy two more sets for 75% off. If you look close, you will see that the bottom of the glass looks like a crystal door knob complete with silver band. The fruit salad being served in each glass is one of my favorites.


I was not sure what to serve as a beverage until I remembered my friend Jane's Champagne Punch. It is delicious and non alcoholic so my nieces were able to drink it. Naturally, I served it in Champagne glasses.









I saved the best for last. My sister and I both share an adoration for Red Velvet Cake. So, I made Red Velvet Cupcakes for dessert. Red Velvet Cake seems to really be coming back in style now after being absent from the cake scene for a while. Or course, you must make it from scratch! Also, I now include a secret ingredient. One day while eating a piece of red velvet cake from a bakery in Houston, I noticed that it had something extra that made it really good. After a thorough investigation, (sometimes you have to eat two for research purposes), I discovered a layer of chocolate ganache. It really makes a difference in the flavor and makes it more chocolaty like it should be. Also, remember that presentation is everything. So in keeping with Tiffany's pearls and jewels, I used my pedestal cake plate that is dripping in crystals and scattered pearls around the base.
Here is my secret ingredient for Red Velvet Cake.

Ganache Recipe

8 ounces artisan chocolate of your choice, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoons vanilla or your favorite flavoring
Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Add flavoring. Frost the top of cooled cupcake with ganache and let dry. Ice with homemade cream cheese icing.

Enjoy!

No comments: