Wednesday, February 3, 2010

FORGOTTEN RECIPE FRIDAY


As a little girl, I remember my Mom telling me how blessed I was to have "The Dime Store".  Every time I got my allowance, I would beg to go to The Dime Store so that I could purchase some candy.  It would take me quite a long time to decide whether to buy a chocolate bar, an all day cherry lollipop, Sugar Babies or M & M's.  Of course toys with candy inside were also a temptation.  1950's & 60's candy were the best!  

My Mom and her sisters were not so lucky.  They did not live close to a store that had a candy counter and being raised during the Depression, they didn't have extra money for candy.  However, they did have Taffy Pulls.  I loved to listen to her stories of my Grandmother making taffy and then handing it over to my Mom, her sisters and their friends to pull.  She described in great detail the technique they used to pull the hot taffy into long ropes between two people, the great smell and even the color it turned as it started to cool.  I could picture my Grandmother laying the pulled and ready to eat taffy on the kitchen table and cutting it in to pieces with scissors so everyone could have a taste.  I was ready to hand over my store bought chocolate, cherry lollipops and even my Sugar Babies for one taste of that marvelous taffy.  Here is the recipe for that almost forgotten candy.

OLD FASHION TAFFY

3/4 cup water


2 cups sugar

1 1/4 cups corn syrup

2 tablespoons butter

Vanilla flavoring

1 teaspoon salt



Measure 2 cups sugar, l 1/4 cups corn syrup, 3/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt into a saucepan and blend well with a wooden spoon. Place over low heat until sugar has dissolved, stirring continuously. Increase the heat and do not stir during the rest of the cooking. Wash the sides of the pan with a brush or fork covered with muslin and dipped in water, using an upward motion. This will prevent the formation of crystals which might cause the candy to sugar. Cook syrup to hard boil stage and then remove candy from heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter.  Stir very gently.   When cool enough to handle, grease hands with butter and let the pulling begin.

Pull the taffy out at least 12 inches. Next, quickly fold the taffy back from one hand to the other, catching the center, and then pulling again.  Add the vanilla while pulling and continue to pull until the flavoring is thoroughly mixed in.  When the taffy is very hard to pull and holds its shape when laid out on a platter, it’s ready to cut into pieces. Rub a pair of kitchen scissors with unsalted butter, and then cut the hardened taffy into bite-size pieces.

Enjoy!






       

No comments: