Monday, December 14, 2009

FORGOTTEN RECIPE FRIDAY



 My favorite daughter-in-law, Carey, (OK, I only have one, but she is still  my favorite) bought this book for me.  It is a wonderful book full of stories and recipes from the Great Depression.  The author of the book, Clara, is 94 years old. 

Adam and Carey have been on a tight budget and Carey has been using the recipes in this book to save money on their grocery bill.  Since bread is one of the cheapest and most versatile food items, people relied on it heavily during the Depression.  In the cookbook, Clara included the recipe that her mother used to make 6 loaves of bread, twice a week, for the family.  My daughter-in-law, Carey, now makes this bread for her family. 

I have heard many stories from my parents about the depression and know that most everything was home grown and homemade.  Most food items were made from scratch.  Only the basics like sugar, flour, cornmeal, etc. were purchased at the store.  Making everything yourself is alot of work, but it tastes so good.  Everything is fresh and so flavorful when it has not been filled with preservatives.

I have alot of cookbooks and not one of them include a recipe for ketchup.  It definitely is a forgotten recipe.

   HOMEMADE KETCHUP

6 ounces tomato paste (homemade or canned)
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 TBS. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all the ingredients together and put in a sterilized jar.  Keep refrigerated. 

No comments: